About Me

My photo
I'm an instructor for the Computer, Science and Internet course at Full Sail University in Orlando, Fl. I'm taking the Education Media Design and Technology Masters so that I may expand my teaching repertoire and become a better instructor.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

PE2_iMovie

Editing, Effects, and Audio, Oh my!



Now we're getting to the interesting parts. 

I love the movie trailer options for new projects theme. This was not available in iMovie '09. I'm already thinking I may use that to for my 60 second video. 

On a side note, I really REALLY like and appreciate the way lynda.com breaks up lessons in small chunks that are around 5 minutes. I think the longest lesson was 8 minutes. As a teacher, I understand too well the attention span of most people isn't very long. Research has shown that even when a person is interested, their brain can only handle about 15-20 minutes of information before going into "screensaver mode" (my words. hehe).  As a student, I understand this all too well!
So the smaller chunks of information really help to enhance the assimilation process. I probably retained more information because of this format, than if I had a solid 30min or hour long lecture. 

The precision editor seems a bit strange to me. You can precisely chose where two clips transition but as you cut or add to one clip, you're cutting or adding to the other clip as well. So your overall time doesn't change. That can be helpful, but I can see how it might be frustrating as well. 
I can see this is a feature I'm going to need to play with a bit before I fully understand it. I really need to do things, and sit and "try to break" (as one of my friends calls it) something to really understand it. Note: I don't *really* try to break software/things I'm trying to understand. ;)

Me trying to figure out the precision editor....


Ok, I played with it. I was a little incorrect about how the overall time doesn't change. It CAN change the overall time. The tutorial was kind of…unclear in that part. But I can't blame him, because it's still kind of a strange tool to explain. Now that I've played with it, I get it, but I don't know that I could explain it to another person myself. :D

Watching these videos is making me excited for our filmmaking class that we'll have later in the program. (I may regret this excitement later.) Part of this is because the tutorial videos talk about technical aspects, which rely partly on good storyboarding and planning of a video. It's one thing to know how to crop a shot to zoom in, but it's another to know when to zoom in, or the best place in a scene to use that feature. It was in fact, the cropping and editing tool tutorial that made me think about this. Although I did notice he mentions some tips on planning shots and when using effects. 

The entire "working with effects" section was fascinating, and my favorite part to watch. Just listening about the options of  incorporating photos, side by side, picture in picture, green screen, one step effects, etc gave me so many ideas for future projects. 
Some of my ideas are too complicated or time consuming for this weeks 60 second movie, so I've created a file to store all my plans. 

I may have gone a little nuts exploring the different effects...


I'm so excited about these features!


Now to make my movie!




3 comments:

  1. Jessica, I realized too that making a great movie relies on some forethought and planning. This was especially evident to me in the chapter on audio when Garrick suggested filming extra footage in case we need to replace bad audio (as in too many unwanted background noises) in clips we've used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching the effects section was very interesting to me as well. I never thought this software was so in depth with the effects. Incorporation of pictures and the green screen effects were very enlightening as well. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily: You're right about extra footage. I was thinking about your comment when I was capturing screenflow for my OMM project. I only needed less an a minute, but wound up getting 3 minutes of footage! I've done the same in previous projects. This is also something I've learned as an amatuer photographer. It might take a little longer to get the footage or take extra photos, but it can be a lifesaver later!

    C.L.: Yes, I'm very impressed with all of the little, detailed features this program has.

    ReplyDelete