About Me

My photo
I'm an instructor for the Computer, Science and Internet course at Full Sail University in Orlando, Fl. I'm taking the Education Media Design and Technology Masters so that I may expand my teaching repertoire and become a better instructor.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Wk 3 Leadership Post: Where and Who to Submit to?

 I must confess…that I put this particular activity/ blog post off for a bit. Or at least, I put it off by my standards.

I usually start thinking about my blog posts for the week, well, the starting Monday of the week. By the time i sit down and write them (usually Friday) I've spent several days already, if not the entire week thinking, and mulling them over, composing sentences in my head, editing, etc.
Image: nuttakit / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

But this time I put it off. I'm not exactly sure why. Perhaps because the idea of actually submitting to a publication is kind of daunting, and this post makes that process more "real" but having us not only consider, but commit (in a fashion) to that process of submitting to a publication.

I told myself that I was putting it off because i thought this particular post would be easy: pick two journals to submit to, and write about it. Easy.

Whatever the reason (most likely, a mixture of both), I didn't really think about it too much. I put it off, and put it away in my mind.


So of course, when I set down this weekend to actually look at the publication list and decide and write my post, it wasn't quite as simple as I imagined.

The list was long and daunting.

Where to start?? Who to submit to?

How would i choose? What criteria would I use?

Again, another admission… I have to admit I just kind of sat and stared at the list for a few minutes, before coming to any sort of coherent conclusion. I just, took it all in.

After a few moments, sense took over and I started to come up with ideas for criteria and formulate in a plan.

I won't detail that particularly boring bit of process, but in the end two journals won out (and perhaps a third):

1. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
(http://www.nctm.org/publications/content.aspx?id=10160)


Once I saw the name, I knew I wanted to check it out. Once i realized they were affiliated with the NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics), I knew I had to submit. The NCTM sponsored the website of virtual manipulatives that i used for my capstone project, and it was their site and information that helped a lot in brainstorming and research for my project. 
While at first when the process of submitting a paper was presented, I told myself i would mind or be upset if my paper wasn't accepted. But i have to say I'm kind of excited about submitting to the NCTM after reading all their work and using their resources. I really hope my submission is accepted to this journal.


and

2. The Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching
(http://www.aace.org/pubs/jcmst/default.htm)


My project was about using technology to improve student motivation and engagement with math and this appears tone an entire journal dedicated to that prospect. I'm pretty excited to submit to this journal as well.



I'm also considering the International Journal on E-Learning.
(http://www.aace.org/pubs/ijel/)


Because another one wouldn't hurt, right? I just need  to check their submission requirements to see how much extra time/work would be required to submit.

Image: digitalart / FreeDigitalPhotos.net




and while this marks the "reality" of starting to create and submit a scholarly paper for submission, I find that if I'm honest with myself, I'm more excited by the prospect than scared.

And in another sense, this marks the "beginning of the end" of the EMDT program. This is both a happy and a sad thing to think about, but that's a whole other post in itself. Perhaps that will be next one.

For now, I have a paper to write!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your journey. I know that it can be difficult, but it's so good to see y'all make the move toward the possibilities that are out there for you.

    ReplyDelete