About Me

My photo
I'm an instructor for the Computer, Science and Internet course at Full Sail University in Orlando, Fl. I'm taking the Education Media Design and Technology Masters so that I may expand my teaching repertoire and become a better instructor.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Wk 1 Leadership Blog Post:Leadership Role Model

I have to admit that this blog post stumped me for a while. I have several people I admire, that you could call role models, but I don't think of them as leadership role models.

But the more I dwelled on this matter, the more i realized that the point of this blog post isn't so literal. It's all right there in the description: "individuals or organizations that you admire and spell out what it is that attracts you and how you might incorporate this into your own leadership style."

The idea to take those ideas and perspective and attitude that the person you admire brings, and combine it and make it your own.


So, I go back to my biggest role models: Marie Curie and Charles Darwin.

Well known scientists, but I don't know how many people think of them when they think of "leadership". 

But let's dig a little deeper and see why they're my role models, first. 

Both Curie and Darwin did things that were' popular at the time.


Curie was a female scientist, who led her own research. At the time, in the early 1900's there weren't many woman who were working outside the home at all, and even fewer in the scientific fields. The few women who were in research often worked in their husbands labs, or under other male scientists. But madam Curie had her own ideas, and published papers based on her research.

Curie was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize, the only woman to date to win in two fields, and the only person to win in multiple sciences.

By unattributed [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons




Darwin's story is a bit better known (although often misunderstood or misconstrued). 

Darwin came up with his ideas on evolution and natural selection in 1838. Darwin knew, before publishing his ideas in "On the Origin of Species" that his ideas would not be popular or well received. Similar ideas had been proposed by other scientists at the time, and were not well received by the scientific community. 
Darwin also suffered from many health issues during his lifetime, and continued his work on his theories and studies of natural selection despite his health problems. 

By the end of his life time, Darwin had convinced most of the scientific community at the time of the validity of the theory of evolution as descent with modification. 



So why do I bring these two up? Both Darwin and Curie were working against the standard, or norm for their time. Both pursued their beliefs, despite criticism and the threat of ostracism. They were pioneers in science, pursuing their passion and beliefs with conviction.  




To me, they are embodiments of the idea that "What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular".



And I think a true leader needs to remember this idea. It is easy to do what is accepted, and what everyone wants, But a leader needs to be able to realize what is important, what is best for the situation, regardless of how others feel about it. A good leader should pursue their beliefs, but not be blinded with that either.  Just as Darwin made modifications to his original ideas and theories (and as many scientists do), a leader should not be afraid to modify and adjust plans, procedures and methods as needed by different situations and changing times. 

1 comment:

  1. I find it fascinating that you selected leaders who didn't gather the troops and say, "hey, follow me!" but pursued their science and led that way. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete