About Me

My photo
I'm an instructor for the Computer, Science and Internet course at Full Sail University in Orlando, Fl. I'm taking the Education Media Design and Technology Masters so that I may expand my teaching repertoire and become a better instructor.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Wk 2 Comments on Alison's Blog

Alison's original post:


EMDT Month 11 – Alison Oprea

The Art of Possibility Chapters 1-4

As I read the first four chapters of The Art of Possibility by Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander, I started to reflect on how their ideas impact me.  As I was growing up, there was an unspoken expectation that I was going to do “right” – go to college, get a good job, get married and have my 2.5 kids.  I was afraid to fail.  Because I was afraid to fail, I took no risks.  In college, my viola professor was desperately trying to get me to play a piece I was working on more passionately, but I just didn’t get it.  Trying to get me to open up, she told me to yell.  Yell anything.  Scream.  But I couldn’t do it – in fact, I couldn’t even make a sound.  To me, that was so wrong, and definitely NOT proper.  However, over time I started to realize that that was exactly what I needed.  All these ideas of what were right and wrong and what was expected of me were all things I had conjured up myself.  I was hurting myself in this “safe” place I kept myself in.  I began to take risks, and I began to see the world differently.  While I allowed myself an A in many things, I realize now that there is so much more I should be giving myself an A in.  Not only that, but giving others around me an A.  Changing that perspective and opinion in others, be it students, colleagues, friends or family,  I can only begin to imagine the difference in changing my life as well as others.
--------

You can see my comment to Alison's post here:

Alison,
I can definitely understand the "unspoken expectation that I was going to do “right” and not wanting to take risks because of that expectation.

However, my own life and experiences FORCED me to take risks, if i wanted to continue with what was expected of me. Eventually, I was able to separate myself from what was expected, and came to conclusions about what I wanted and started taking risks based on what *I* wanted.

But those initial issues in my life forced me to become comfortable with making (and assessing) risks.


Reading everyone's posts about this book has made me *really* think about how different experiences radically change people's outcomes on life and continues in a spiral to continue to affect how we think and act. This seems to be part of the central thesis of the book, along with how to stop that spiral.

I may not agree with all parts of this text, but it has definitely made me think and assess my own ideas, ideals, experiences and outlooks on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment