About Me

My photo
I'm an instructor for the Computer, Science and Internet course at Full Sail University in Orlando, Fl. I'm taking the Education Media Design and Technology Masters so that I may expand my teaching repertoire and become a better instructor.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Wk 2 Comments on Dwayne's Blog

Dwayne's original post:

Wk2 – Reading


Chapter 1 - “It’s All Invented Anyways”
The idea that jumped out at me during this chapter was to enlarge the box. In doing so, new opportunities appear. I love the illustration that he gave of the nine dots in the shape of a box. In the instructions, It said to connect the dots with four straight lines without taking the pen from the paper within the square framed by the outer dots. There is really no way to complete this problem. It is impossible to connect all four dots with four straight lines. I believe sometimes in our creativity, we are confined by limitations and rules that others or ourselves have put upon us. We kill our creativity this way. Sometimes we need to give ourselves permission to rewrite the rules just as was done in his illustration. By simply altering the phrase and inserting, “Fill free to use the whole sheet of paper”, it then gave you the ability to complete the task. Sometimes we need to allow ourselves to use the whole paper.
Chapter 2 – “Stepping Into A Universe of Possibility”
Measurement – It is amazing how we measure our lives, our goals, our finances, and our relevance to those around us. The author stated, “We grow up in a world of measurement, and in this world, we get to know each other and things by measuring them, and by comparing and contrasting them.” Even tonight as I took my son to the ball field to practice baseball, we met up with a young friend of his. They both took turns batting and throwing and they had a great time together. On the way out, all my son wanted to find out from me was “Did he throw better than his friend? Did he hit better than his friend? Who did I think was a better player?” My mind went back to reading this chapter. Sometimes we just need to let life unfold. We don’t need to measure ourselves all of the time against others. We need to self-evaluate on our own strengths and weaknesses and set goals for ourselves.
Chapter 3 – “Giving An A”
I love when the author talked about training young musicians from early childhood urging them to be “extraordinary technical masters” and encouraging them to “develop good practice habits”. He explains that it is dangerous to have musicians so concerned with competition because they will find it hard to take risks with themselves to become outstanding musicians. I love the quote that he gave from the cellist, Graspar Cassado, “I am so sorry for you; your lives have been so easy. You can’t play great music unless your heart has been broken. An A is not an expectation to live up to, but a possibility to live into.
Chapter 4 – “Being A Contribution”
I love when the author asked his music class to write down how they contributed over the past week. He did not want them writing about how they contributed musically. He wanted things such as, “Did they help an old lady cross the street? Or did they set their boyfriend straight?” He wanted the student to look deeper, to look into themselves. The contributions on paper grew each week because the students became more aware of them. He had the students describe what contributions they had in the week ahead. Like the author said, “Like a pebble into a pond, and imagine that everything that they do sends ripples out beyond the horizon.” The author is truly challenging us to become a contributor. Rewards of a contributor are an extremely deep and rewarding.




You can see my comment to Dwayne's post here


Dwayne,  it's funny, when I initially read the first chapter of our text this month, it put me off a little bit. I was reluctant to really absorb what they were saying, and I still do disagree with parts of the text.
But it does also hold some really great points, and excellent view points.
I think you really hit on what the first chapter is about (and maybe even the entire book) when you said: "Sometimes we need to give ourselves permission to rewrite the rules just as was done in his illustration. By simply altering the phrase and inserting, “Fill free to use the whole sheet of paper”, it then gave you the ability to complete the task. Sometimes we need to allow ourselves to use the whole paper."
If the text itself had expressed it like this, I think I might have understood their true point, and "gotten it" a bit easier. The authors used the expression, but I liked (preferred even) your expansion on this topic.
I really, REALLY like your phrasing there. The idea of giving oneself permission to "use the whole sheet" is really one of the most important things we can do in our lives. Our biggest limiter is ourselves, and that is what i think the entire message is about. It's definitely something to think about, as we go about our daily lives: "what am I doing, unconsciously, to limit myself?" "How can I use the whole sheet?" are questions we should be asking every day.
Great thoughts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment