About Me

My photo
I'm an instructor for the Computer, Science and Internet course at Full Sail University in Orlando, Fl. I'm taking the Education Media Design and Technology Masters so that I may expand my teaching repertoire and become a better instructor.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Wk 2 Leadership post: To Publish or Present

Wk 2 Leadership post: To Publish or Present

This answer to this was easy for me: publish.

I have to admit, this wasn't a difficult decision for me. Although it may seem an odd thing for an instructor, when it comes to presenting, I get very shy. While i can easily stand and present material to a group of students, for some reason, the idea of presenting my CBR to a roomful of instructors, administrators and educators was daunting.

I thought about using this as an opportunity to get "over" this fear and reluctance. But in doing so, I thought about what my presentation would be like: what i would say, what i would include, what would people *see*… and I don't feel that i have enough media to present an interesting presentation. I was not comfortable taking pictures or video of my students participating in their challenge project, so I do not have any "live action" media footage to include.

While my readers here may not agree or understand why ;),  I consider myself a writer. This is the medium I prefer and am most comfortable.

I have been writing, in some form or another since I was 5.
Image: Idea go / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


 I wrote my first story in kindergarden, about two ponies (I still remember to this day), much to the dismay of my fellow classmates. I showed the story to my teacher, and she decided to include the entire class in a project to correct the spelling and grammar.

From an instructors perspective, this was a good way to include a shy student, and include lessons on spelling and grammar.  Being the said student however, I could have easily been discouraged from writing again, as many students were unhappy about having to work through more spelling and grammar lessons. ("Don't do that again", I still distinctly remember hearing from one classmate).

To my credit, I am stubborn and in this aspect, self assured. Or perhaps, cursed with an over abundant imagination. Whatever the reason, I didn't stop writing…couldn't stop even.

So, in this, I am comfortable, and confident.

My literature review came easily to me (it was the editing that was the hard part) as did my phase reports.

I already have a good idea already of how I want to structure the article, and flashes of insight and blocks of text have made their way into my mind, often at the oddest at times (usually when a pen and paper are not handy, like the shower).

Where I am not sure of, is where to submit.

I am not particularly worried about this decision at this stage, however.

I have looked at Dr. Bedard's list and it is *huge*. This has both merits and detriments. On the one hand, the list is daunting to look at and through. On the other, it provides a wealth of possibilities.

And part of me, figures, "If, by the end of week 3 you don't have who to send it to figured out… just send it to as many as you can!"

:D

Hey, it's a possibility. And, statistically, the more I submit to, the greater chance of being published… which, as a writer, has long been a goal for me.

Hey, it could happen.

It seems this month is all about possibilities. :D

Image: Sarunyu_foto / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

1 comment: